top of page

Frequently Asked Questions

How do I report a crime?

  • If you have an emergency, immediately call 911.   Operators will ask you where your emergency is, they will ask you details about your emergency and they will ask you for identifying information such as first and last name as well as middle initial and date of birth. 

    If you don't have an emergency but require immediate assistance from a member of the Emmett Police Department, contact Gem County Dispatch at their business line of (208) 365-3521.   Again, operators will ask you details about your request as well as identifying information. The agency having jurisdiction will take your report and determine what follow up work must be done.


How do I get a copy of a police report?

  • Please refer to our Records page that has a lot of helpful information. 



I filed a police report and nothing happened.  Why?

  • The Emmett Police Department takes our investigations very seriously.  Officers will respond and take a criminal report for a crime, especially if a citizen wants to pursue criminal charges.  Once an officer takes a report from a citizen, we will gather statements from the victim, any witnesses, and interview the suspect if/when the suspect can be identified and located.  Any evidence is collected and the statements from the involved parties is sent to the Gem County Prosecutor’s Office, who reviews and files criminal charges.  Once the report is sent to the prosecutor’s office, it is their decision whether to file charges in a court of law.



Can the police open my car if I have locked my keys inside?

  • Sadly, the police department does not have the equipment or training to properly unlock vehicles.  The dispatch center maintains a list of area locksmiths, and would be happy to assist you in contacting them.



How do I report suspicious activity? Can I remain anonymous?

  • The Police Department depends on citizens calling to report crimes or suspicious activity. Reports of suspicious activity (i.e. high amounts of traffic with people making short stops at a house or an apartment) that are well founded are usually the result of some form of criminal conduct. The dispatcher who takes your call will ask questions about the activity to determine its nature, and will ask for descriptions of the people involved. You may be asked if an officer may contact you, but you may decline and remain anonymous.



What to do when stopped by the police?

  • Pull the vehicle off the road.

  • Remain calm. Do not be argumentative.

  • Remain in the vehicle unless ordered out.

  • Turn off your engine, headlights, radio and cellular phone.

  • Roll down the driver's side window.

  • Keep both hands on the steering wheel (10 and 2 o'clock position).

  • Comply with the officer's requests.



If I am in a vehicle accident, what do I do?

  • 911 is available 24 hours a day to provide immediate assistance. Dispatchers have the ability to dispatch Police, Fire, and the Emergency Medical Services.

  • If possible, try not to move your vehicle until a police officer arrives. Not only may your vehicle be unsafe to drive, but also a proper investigation cannot be conducted if the vehicles have been moved.



How do I find out if someone is in jail, when someone in jail can be visited, or any other information about persons in jail?

  • Contact the Gem County Jail at 208-365-4484. They will be able to tell you if the person is currently incarcerated, the charge, the bail amount, and their visiting hours.



Where do I go to pay traffic (and other) citations?

  • Traffic and other citations can be paid at the Gem County Magistrate Court at 415 E. Main Street in Emmett.  If you have questions about the citation you can contact the court at 208-365-4221.



How do I get a Restraining or Protection Order?

  • This varies according to your situation. For personal assistance contact the Gem Magistrate Court at 208-365-4221.

bottom of page